Passionate About Life | Escapades

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

+ Life | Rat Trap

Mouse Trap
Now this is something I questioned myself before, but I did not give myself an answer. Instead, I just think I should not do it at all.

Like on normal days at work, a group of us would go to the canteen to have our breakfast. A friend spotted a rat in the middle of the car park.

It was like in a daze, falling sideways as it tried to move into the bushes. Apparently, it must have been poisoned.

I thought nothing of it. We took our breakfast, talked and joked a little and headed back to the office once we had finished.

On the way, I saw 2 metal-wired rat trap cages at the dumping area. In each was a rat. Frantically pacing to and fro trying to get out of the cage. The baits ware still hanging in the cages.

Rats  Endangering human healthNow, this is my dilemma... Rats are bad for human health. They are pests and bring diseases, while they irritate you and scare most women.

Now, rat population has to be controlled to not infest our homes and properties, so we kill rats by setting up traps and poison them. Alright...

Once you catch them, how do you "put them down" humanely... if that is the most politically correct phrase for it.

The rats I saw in the cages were left outside in the hot sun to die. It is the worst death sentence possible, I think. To torture them to exhaustion, dehydrate them slowly until they die.

That is the most slowest and most painful of a killing method I can possible think of. Maybe it is just me, but it seems too cruel for me.

I know I will not give a second thought when I have to crush a cockroach, but it has to die immediately, with the least amount of pain possible.

I could not bare to look at the panting rats further and walked away. My lady friend squirmed in fright and walked quickly away.

I just had to ask my the group what was the best, humanely possible way to kill a rat once caught.

Rats  Humane Killing Method?
One said to knock its head or bashed it to death, and other said to drown it in water, one even said his mother poured boiling water over it. Wow!

I have heard of these methods before. When I was a child, I had seen one "death by drowning" case by a neighbour too, which I could not bare to watch then either.

I am not the one to trap any, so I leave it the pest-busters if necessary. Hope I do not have an infestation of such in my home. I am putting too much thought in this, nonetheless, I need to ask.

So, is poisoning them the best way?

Or is there a fastest, most humanely possible way to kill rats once you catch them?

4 Comments:

  • I don't know the best way. I know that at my work , in the summer we are over run with mice. Which carry serious diseases that can cause illness to humans. One time a mouse trap caught a poor little critter in the middle of winter. You may not know what it's like here in -25 degrees celseus. It is dam cold. So when this little mouse got caught in a trap, we had to let it go out in the cold. Poor thing froze in an instant. It only took a few steps before it was a mouse popsicle. It may sound harsh, but mice here carry very deadly disease. So I guess you have to decide , which is more important, human life , or rodents????

    By Blogger wandi, at 1:46 pm  

  • A friend of mine once caught a mouse on some kind of glue trap. She took it to her driveway and ran it over.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:01 am  

  • Hello Both,

    Thanks for sharing your experiences.

    Wandi | I definitely agree with you. Human life is very important as compared to mice and rats.

    I only wish that we can have a fast and humane way of killing these rodents once we caught them.

    I just cannot stand to see them die a slow and painful death. It just doesn't feel right for me.

    Barbara | Guess that works well. Fast and effective. You just have to clean up your car and driveway after that. Will not look pretty though.

    Thanks again. Have a rodent free week ahead.

    By Blogger Muhd Imran, at 12:35 pm  

  • For those looking for a humane option, using a rat trap comprised of a metal cage with a special mechanism designed to close once the rat enters the cage. Inside the metal cage, bait is placed to entice the rat to enter. The rat triggers the door to shut upon entering the cage and ends up trapped inside. This allows you to trap, transport and release the rat at a location of your choosing.

    By Anonymous a rat trap, at 10:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home