Passionate About Life | Escapades

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

+ Work | Brontok Virus

Brontok Virus Attack TodayToday was definitely a non-productive, frustrating day for me at work.

After a good start of the day with a con-call with a customer in the US, I got to clear some emails from yesterday since I was off work to accompany may Mom for her precheck-up for her eye surgery.

She has cataracts on her right eye and is going to have it removed this Friday afternoon, 10 Feb 06 at SGH's National Eye Centre.

Windows XP - Virus Inventors' Favourite OSThen the impending thing happened. Just before tea break, my PC was infected with the Brontok Virus. A first from Indonesia. Thought you would be proud that an Asian from Asia did something impressive. Depressive instead. Good at doing no good.

From that moment onwards, I could do nothing productive after tea break and after lunch. I was stuck at my PC trying to eradicate the virus off it with the help of my IT Engineer.

Two other office people had the same virus too, except one was mercifully detected by our common Hauri Antivirus program. We were not fortunate at all. Did not open any attachment or anything. My MS Outlook email was routinely auto-downloading emails periodically when it struck and gave an error message.

My Winlogon file was replaced with the virus that rendered me not be Administrator of my PC any longer.

A check in Hauri Website indicated that they have an update for the antidote, but after downloading it and did a scan, the anti-virus program returned a nil detection. WHAT!!

I had to resort to my long trusted free AVG Antivirus program. My IT Engineer helped to download it and installed in on my PC. Once scanning was in progress, all the Brontok related executable files were detected and deleted.

Thank you Grisoft.com for the Free AVG Antivirus program. You are still the best in my dictionary!

A reprieve finally felt at bout 4:30pm. Did all important stuff that I needed to do before I left for work. Not a good day. Nothing good came from this at all.

How come smart people are so stupid as to waste their own talent and time to ruin other people?

2 Comments:

  • I hope things get fixed soon!

    By Blogger J. Andrew Lockhart, at 12:24 pm  

  • Thanks Andrew. It was fixed with the free AVG program.

    Though the program now is shielding such virus, to prevent it from residing in my PC and triggering it unknowingly, we set the program to scan once in the morning before work starts and another at lunch, just to be sure.

    Have a good weekend.

    By Blogger Muhd Imran, at 1:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home