Passionate About Life | Escapades

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

+ Work | Red Packet

An Ang Pow and 2 oranges for me

It is the first day of work after a long, restful weekend.

So far the activity had been slow at the operations side and most of my office colleagues are still on leave off work. Some coming back tomorrow and some all the way till next week Monday. Lucky them.

The Company Tradition

Like every year, all those who report to work right after Chinese New Year will be greeted by our CEO with the traditional Chinese New Year greeting - a handshake with greetings followed by an Ang Pow or a Red Packet in Hokien dialect with a token of S$10.00 in it, and two oranges.

I am a Malay, but they treat me all the same.

All employees present today will get it directly from the CEO. Personal. Neat.

The Chinese Tradition

Not sure if I understand it correctly, but do not take it from me. The Chinese give out Ang Pow as a gift from the elders to their unmarried charges, while the two oranges are for good luck.

Even numbers are good for festive periods while the orange colour looks like gold, to symbolise wealth and wish you good fortune.

Many of my office Chinese colleagues, well... all of them are Chinese with the exception of only me, a Malay, would keep these oranges in the office's desk until these oranges both get dried-up to "keep" their luck close to them and for as long as possible and then throw them away after 15 days.

That is how long the celebration is.

For me, I eat my "luck." Yes, I eat it because I cannot resist Mandarin oranges. It is one of my favourite fruits.

With any luck, the digested oranges will keep me full of fibre and good health. That is how I use my luck.

With a heads-up announcement from the Operations Manager that our CEO was coming, the next thing I knew, he was already inside our office with his entourage.

The first firm, handshake from the CEO was followed by a trail of handshakes from the other big bosses, the "big guns" with New Year greetings.

A very nice gesture. Still very rooted in Chinese tradition for this modern, high-tech, public-listed company of more than 20 years in existence.

The day is still slow and not much of activities today since many companies are still not cranked-up to the fast-paced momentum yet.

You would hear Lion Dance drums on and off, here and there as the companies welcome the troupes to "bless" their organisation for better luck and prosperity for this Lunar New Year.

Heard from a friend the market going rate for a blessing costs S$370.00 this year. A small price to pay for the bountiful of wealth the company owners hope they will reap the Lunar New Year.

Lions blessing the canteen

The First Time

At lunch, I get to witness the Lion Dance giving blessings to the canteen owner. It was my first time actually witnessing the whole blessing session while we eat our lunch. Great! A meal and a show... an edutaiment!

The canteen has 3 alters - 2 small ones and one large, main one.

The 3 lions paid their respects to these alters before the headed for the drinks counter where the canteen owner stood to start the Lion Dance. Deafening drums and cymbils accompanied the dance.

It lasted about 10 minutes with some "offerings" of oranges and vegetables given to the lions to "eat" from the canteen owner.

None of my Chinese friends know what the significance of the offerings suppose to be. They were expecting a blessed Chinese word to be formed by the lion when it moved away from the offerings, but none seen.

The dance was nonetheless interesting, with the lions animated so lively with its stomach breathing, blinking eyes and fancy footworks, but it catched everyone's attention when it "eat" the scattered the orange peelings high and about as though satisfied with the offerings in zest.

Before you know it, another troupe of Lion Dance arrived just before the earlier one finished with its blessings. The two groups approached each other and did some challenging... teasing, the way I saw it.

And on with the next Lion Dance. Guess S$740.00 is nothing compared to the hope of prosper days ahead for the new year.

The universal saying is true... it takes money to make money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home