Passionate About Life | Escapades

Friday, October 21, 2005

+ Life | Hello Uncle


Tampines Mall beside MRT Train Station

Coming back from work late so I had to break my fast by having dinner outside at Tampines Linkway FoodCourt. Felt awkward eating without my family.

I have never eaten a meal alone for the longest time I can remember. Had my fill and went off to Tampines Mall to look for a pair of jeans I have been hunting for a while now.

My last few hunts would be at a Giordano store.

Went inside and was greeted enthusiastically by the young male salesperson, but.... he said "Hello Uncle!"

Whamp! It hit me unaware like being smashed head-on into a brick wall. I have yet to realise (or in self-denial?) that I am now 39 years old and look like someone's uncle.

Felt bewildered a while but kept my composure with this "new" brand of reality.

The salesperson was about 19, 24 the most. Always pictured myself and felt like his big brother or something of that age range, never an uncle. I cannot register in my mind as being above 35, I guess (that self-denial again?)

Gave a node and a light smile to him and went browsing at the clothes and jeans section away from him to give myself time to digest this new reality.

One good thing that came out of this incident was that I finally found the pair of jeans I wanted. Pre-faded and rugged-looking enough but not over-the-top "rebellious teenager, fashion-statement" kind of look, just casual.

Never have I bothered so much about a pair of jeans before. Mid-life crisis?

Anyway, he came back to serve me and gave me my size 31 I asked for. Was very helpful explaining to me the different cuts available and checking for available fitting room and showed me the way.

It was a size too big at the waist. Took a peak outside the fitting room door and there he was reflected off the mirror and saw me guestured at him to come.

He gave me size 30 and it fit me just fine. I never looked good in jeans, but this particular pair of jeans was so fine when I saw my colleagues wore it. I just had to own a pair too.

Went to pay at the cashier and this young bubbly lady salesperson served me with such impaccable customer service, friendly with wide smiles, but very importantly she was sincere.

Reminding me if this was my bithday, I would enjoy a 15% discount. Fortunately not. I would be 40 then.

I looked around and saw everyone in the store was young. The salespersons, the customers too. I probably was the oldest person standing there. Sigh.

Would have felt good if there was another person of my "generation". No...wait a minute! I would not want that. He might come in with his son to buy him stuff instead!

I have always grown with brand names like Giordano, HangTen and U2. The polo shirts, the wide-width black belts, the socks and undergarments, even the umbrellas. Not that young anymore, but still I like the style of clothes.

Guess I still am young at heart. That is the best thing I can tell myself.

Anyway, I feel the standard of service at Giordano Tampines Mall is one of the best in Singapore. Well done Giordano! This old guy will be back nonetheless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home